This structured map skills course uses a simple colourful layout to introduce young pupils to using and drawing maps and plans.
Mapstart 1 is a structured introduction to map work for 6-7 year olds. It assumes no previous experience of map skills and establishes a sound foundation for graphic concepts, skills and vocabulary at a very simple level.
Mapstart 1 has been designed with the following purposes in mind:
• to build children’s spatial awareness through the use of familiar objects, toys, the locality of the school and space photos;
• to extend children’s understanding and use of vocabulary associated with spatial location, organisation and movement;
• to provide continuity through the book by the use of vertical aerial photos;
• to introduce children to the perspective of plans and maps and to the representational characteristics of maps;
• to encourage children to observe features and relationships in oblique and vertical photos and maps;
• to foster children’s appreciation of the Earth as a globe.
A free file of answers to questions in Mapstart 1 is available free to download at